How to make food on the go fun
As summer sets in, we are all thinking about family days out with the kids. Day trips and holidays are perfect for memory making, but it’s the getting there, and home at the end of a long day, that are often the parts we try to forget! Add mealtimes on-the-go into the mix, particularly with fussy toddlers, and it can all start to feel a little overwhelming. This summer we’ve made it our mission to help you make food on the go fun, entertaining, and stress free – so you can concentrate on the enjoying some quality family time and making wonderful memories.
Here's our top tips for making eating on the go with a fussy toddler as relaxing, fun and stress free as possible!
- Take snacks with you so you have a good balance of healthy treats for them to choose from, and let your toddler get involved in what to take. Dried fruit and banana’s travel well, as do satsumas and mini cheeses like BabyBel. These are easily stored in our Snack & Doodle bags, which have a carry-handle so your toddler can take the lead in managing when they eat which snack.
- Lunch out can be both expensive and stressful when you’ve a toddler in tow – particularly if you’re not sure on what is on the menu. If you do choose to eat at the venue you’re visiting for the day – it’s always a good idea to check out your options before-hand, check the menu’s and plan your morning around hitting your chosen spot before it gets too busy.
- Taking a packed lunch is often an easier and cheaper way to eat out and can help to build the excitement around a day trip if your toddler gets involved in making up the packed lunch before you set off. When kids feel in charge of making choices around what they are eating, it will help them have a healthier mindset and be more likely to eat and enjoy their lunch. If you’re worried about having somewhere hygienic to place food on whilst out and about, try using our Snack & Doodle bags. The water doodle mat doubles up as a place mat, meaning you have a food-safe surface to eat from, wherever you are.
- Plan your breaks. If you’re planning to be in the car for much of the day, look for child friendly service stations on route to stop for a lunch, snacks, a toilet break or just to stretch your legs.
- Have an evening meal ready planned so you have something quick and nutritious to feed you all at the end of a busy day out of the house. Try batch cooking something your toddler really enjoys the night before, like a bolognaise which is quickly re-heated and serve with steamed veg and quick cook pasta. Eggs or Avocado with toast fingers and a small portion of frozen peas make for a really nutritious ‘quick tea’ after a tiring day out too.
Traveling over the summer doesn’t have to be stressful! Remember to plan ahead, be organised but most importantly enjoy the day and create memories.
Tidy Tot Snack & Doodle is available in a choice of 2 toddler-friendly prints. Enjoy snacking on the run with these compact, reusable food storage pouches that double as water doodle colouring mats. Encourage independence, creativity, and screen-free down-time! Matching bibs available 😉